Monday, September 8, 2008

Wedding : By Swathi T


Shweta looks back at her old album and becomes emotional. “Tommorrow she will leave me” says shweta to herself with tears in her eyes. “Its ok. I know she will be happy in that new home.” Murmurs Shweta when she hears a knock on her bedroom door. She looks back to see her friend Kajal standing there.

“Hey, why are you so late? I asked you to come in the morning itself..you know na how much work is needed to be done for the marriage” said shweta

“yeah..am sorry..you know my folks..there were not letting me go” said Kajal.

“why..aren’t..they coming for the marriage?” asked Shweta

“hmm..i guess no..”sighed Kajal

“well it would be nice if they come” said Shweta feeling sad.

“You know Kajal, its just not about my folks…infact I came just for your sake because you are my friend..are you sure what you are doing is right?” said Kajal

Shweta gave a surprise look at her friend.. “Common Kajal, how can you say like this!!” said shweta and took one of the photos from the album she was holding and showed it to Kajal.. “Look at her..she became widow just at the age 20. Since then she has been slogging, never thinking about herself. Its 21st century Kajal..she has got right to live happily..she needs a companion for rest of her life..cant a widow get a life again in our country…why have we all become so chauvinist..”

“Hey Shweta, I am sorry..i understand how much this marriage means to you..i am sorry that I hurt your feelings…I don’t know what got into me” said Kajal holding one hand of Shweta… “But how will you be able to handle yourself..i mean after she is gone..you will also be left alone”

Shweta smiling “Since last 1 and half year I have been living alone in Hyderabad for my work…so this is nothing new for me Kajal..infact whenever I will be home, I will have one more new person to give company…the company which I always missed in my life since my birth”


“I am so proud of you Shweta today…the step you have taken today makes me proud that I am your friend” said Kajal with tears of joy.. “lets go..its getting late”
Shweta and Kajal leave the room to another room.

“Momma…what happened..not ready yet?? Its time..and what is that pallu..wait let me do it properly” said Shweta looking at her bride mom.

“Beta..i..i…am so nervous…are you sure that I should take this step..i wont if you say no..” says Lakshmi 42 yr old mom of Shweta.

“Mom..please now don’t start crying..all that kajal in your eyes will spread” said Shweta with a glint in her eyes.. “and you deserve this happiness..you have done so much for me since last 22 years..now you should do something for yourself..and I am very very happy for you momma..because from today even I will get a chance to call somebody my ‘dad’..” said Shweta 22yr old daughter of Lakshmi hugging her mom tight.

“ok ok lets go..its almost time..shweta lets take bride to mandap” said Kajal.
Shweta looked at her mother “Oh my god mom, you look so beautifull today in this wedding saree, wait let me put a Kala Tikka on your cheek”

*********************THE END***********************************

0 comments:

Post a Comment